Saturday, November 25th is Small Business Saturday. This unofficial holiday began in 2010 to encourage people to shop local and shop small. Statistically, the weekend after Thanksgiving is the biggest shopping weekend of the year. This year, according to the National Retail Association more than 164 million people are expected to shop over the weekend and Cyber Monday.
“Small businesses are vital to the Illinois economy, their success is our success”, Rep. McAuliffe said. “If you plan to shop this weekend, I encourage you to visit many of the small and family-owned businesses in our community.”
Illinois small business statistics:
- 1.2 million small businesses in Illinois (99.6% of Illinois businesses)
- 2.4 million small business employees in Illinois (46% of all Illinois employees)
- 311,609 minority-owned small businesses in Illinois
- Small business makes up 90% of Illinois’ exporters
- Small business created 43,836 net jobs in 2014
- Construction, real estate & arts, entertainment & recreation are the three largest small business employers in Illinois
Small businesses can create personalized #shopsmall online marketing tools here.